Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Are authors normal

 What is it about writers and authors that is so intriguing?  We’re just normal average everyday people who happen to tell tales. We get up every morning, dress, eat, work, and breathe. Yet people are always fascinated by us. I will admit it feels damn good. I always love when someone finds out I’m an author. They smile and get this awestruck look in their eyes.  Then the questions come out. What do you write? Where do you get your ideas from? You must have to have a vivid imagination.  And for that moment, while they stare at you as if you’re the biggest celebrity they’ve ever seen, you feel high. What a great feeling.

I’m always fascinated by the way authors are portrayed in movies. We’re portrayed as lazy, sloppy, and sometimes insane. Stephen King loves writing his authors as weird, obsessive and crazy. Ever seen The Shinning? Great movie. Loved Jack Nicholson. He plays crazy like no one else. 1408 was another great by him. John Cusack was perfect in this role. He played an author who debunks paranormal occurrences. Love the movie, love how John portrays the reclusive author who lost his only child and is divorced. Before he starts working, he sets out one cigarette.

Another favourite of mine is The Secret Window with Johnny Depp. Usually, Depp plays strong characters, handsome characters. But in this movie, he is a down-and-out slob. He’s a writer with…shall we say, problems.  I love how he sleeps, eats, and writes in this old ratty robe, his hair is an absolute mess.

But in reality, not all writers are like that. Okay, sure, we have our quirks, some stranger than others, but for the most part, we’re normal people. I have some quirks, but nothing so important that I can’t write without it.  I enjoy having music playing. Dance or pop. I don’t even have my own office. I write in my living room, on the sofa with my laptop on my legs. That’s it. See, I’m not SO weird

Any authors who care to share their stories are welcome.  Is there something you have to have, have to do in order to write that next great story?

Today I'm sharing my very first submitted story, Awaken the Demon.


BLURB:

Abused for years by a sadistic fiancé, Missy Green has had enough. Running away is her only recourse. Wanting a new life, she takes refuge with a group known as the Stargazers. Taken in by illustrator Draco Starr, Missy is elated to finally find peace. Yet, something doesn’t seem right about her host.

Born in the pits of hell, Draco Starr was once a fearsome Demon, For centuries he collected souls for Satan. Having done his time, Draco sets out to start a new life. Even with more wealth and prestige than anyone could ever want, something is still missing in his life.

Love.

Missy is about to have her world turned upside down. Discovering Draco is a demon is terrifying enough, but finding out she too is a demon is more than she can handle.

Can Missy deal with her new life, and the affection she is beginning to feel for Draco, or will the past come back to haunt her?

 

EXCERPT

 “I wanted to ask you a few questions.”
She turned her head to face him and the room began to swim before her. “Questions always questions with you. Let me ask you one for a change. Why are you looking for a mate?”
“To share my life with, of course.”
“Why me?” Her vision was beginning to blur. Was this what being drunk was like? She’d never been before.
He blinked several times before responding. “You’re the only one of your kind.”
“And that’s it? You want me because I’m rare?”
“I did. Before I knew you. Where is this going, Missy?”
“I’m just curious if love played any part in this search for a mate. See, when I accepted Ronald’s proposal, I believed I was in love. I figured we would have a long, happy life together, have a few children, grow old and die together.” She looked over at Draco. “Well, that didn’t exactly work out, so I was just curious what your idea of happily-ever-after is?”
“I’ve never really given it any thought.”
“Well, I would think that would be something to think about when choosing a mate. However, I really don’t know what you feel, being a direct descendant of Satan and all. Can you feel?” she slurred.
“How did you find that out?”
“I have my ways,” she responded slyly. “Can you?”
“I didn’t come here to be grilled by you.”
“I wasn’t grilling you. I was just asking questions. What’s the matter, Draco? You don’t like being questioned?”
He got to his feet. “I think I’ll come back when you’re in a better mood.”
“Oh, don't go. I’m in a perfectly fine mood now, Draco.” She swaggered toward him.
“You’re drunk.”
“Yep, yep I am. Why is it I get the strangest urge to rip those clothes from your body and see what's hidden beneath all that black?” She ran a finger along his lapel. “Yet, at the same time, I want to vomit at your feet.”
“What sort of response were you expecting from that question? Or was it a rhetorical one?”
“Yeah, the last one,” she slurred.
“This is all new to you. It will take time for you to adjust.”
“Oh, I’ve grasped it all. I’m now a demon who craves flesh and blood and my future is filled with uncertainty, but one thing remains.” The tears came up and flooded her eyes despite her fight to withhold them. “I can never go home again.”
“Missy.”
“No.” She waved him off. “Leave me be. I need some time alone.”
“You keep pushing me away, yet it’s me you need.”
“I don’t need you.” She stepped away and was shocked when he yanked her back toward him. Before she knew it, his mouth was covering hers. She felt the heat scorch her from the middle of her belly and down. Something inside of her beckoned her to surrender.
“I have never wanted a woman’s lips before.” He ran his thumb over her lips. “Yours tempt me beyond reason.” With that said, he vanished.
She slumped to the floor, her eyes flooded with tears.
Now why did he have to do that?

Website

Facebook

Twitter

Amazon

Tiktok


4 comments:

Ziggy’s Cigar

This one's for the night owls of the world. Ziggy’s Cigar by Tony and Nicole Nesca Genre: Graphic novel, Literary Fiction One ...